Restrict session to IP 

Comments on CSTutoringCenter

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Global Rank: 2808
Totalscore: 7631
UpVotes: 22
Google/translate1Thank You!0Good Post!1Bad Post! link
I have now implemented auto update to the site. It works fine and updates the score accordingly.

Thanks all!
Global Rank: 252
Totalscore: 87267
UpVotes: 885

Good Job,

marked the site accordingly.

This means it disappeared from the quick.update bar and allows the exact tracking of scorechanges, without possible manual user interaction.

Thank you too

Edit: It is now more convinient, helps against cheaters and offers more accurate statistics Happy
The geeks shall inherit the properties and methods of object earth.
Last edited by gizmore - Feb 21, 2010 - 22:05:10
Hi everyone! Stay tuned for my new math section opening soon. Many of you will find the problems easy i'm almost certain but it is another way to earn points and to perhaps visit certain areas of math you haven't seen or used in a while!

The questions will range from alegbra materials, trigonometry, probability, limits, functions, derivatives, integrals and sequences and series. So a bit of "textbook" math but my site was (and is still being built) for people learning CS related materials and many, many students need to take various levels of math at school to get a degree in CS. I figure its a way for them to study and practice.

For now, the algebra section is launched to allow you to get a head start on the questions.

Happy solving!
Global Rank: 93
Totalscore: 176597
UpVotes: 23

Hiya,

But where is the algebra section, cant find it Drool.

Thanks, Cob
That section is right on the main page. Its the first level of questions out of the 7 that are there.
Global Rank: 93
Totalscore: 176597
UpVotes: 23

Just noticed it.

I think I looked before it was uploaded or something Drool.

Thanks,
Cob
Google/translate1Thank You!1Good Post!0Bad Post! link
Dear wechall fans,

As many of you have probably noticed, I have been adding new things over the weeks to the site. One of which being a medals section and the other being a gift section. Allow me to explain myself for a moment.

When I was approached by some of my students and classmates, they said that they really did enjoy the challenges I offered. Of course I thanked them and always ask anyone what can be improved or removed. They said there was perhaps no motivation for solving challenges. So they replied that I should add something like "medals" or "gifts" for certain achievements on the site. And as you noticed I listened.

They have now come to me and said they are quite motivated to complete the collections and attain all the medals. Many have said that their drive to solve challenges (in both sections) as well as visit the site each day has gone way up.

I'm sure that some of you will not understand the true value of these as many, many of you have "aced" all these sites and have already been long out of school. But for those that are still trying to attain the languages and skills, this was a great way of giving them a boost.

Thank you all for listening to me tell my side of the story. I say this because I have been receiving numerous emails about why I decided to do this. This is the reason.

Keep up the great work!

-Alex
Dear all,

I have something I need an opinion on: I have almost no time to keep the site alive any longer. As you know, the site has been around for two years and has an ever growing population of about 15-20 users per month. I know it is not a lot, but for a niche site such as this, that seems okay to me.

My overall point is this: I want to sell the site off to a loyal fan(s) who will keep it running and continue to expand the site. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to do this? Keep in mind I still HAVE NOT MADE UP MY MIND ABOUT SELLING but just want some opinions from my fans/users.

Thanks to all who reply!
Global Rank: 73
Totalscore: 213061
UpVotes: 107
Kender`s Avatar

RE: Comments on CSTutoringCenter
Google/translate1Thank You!1Good Post!1Bad Post! link
I do not think that the Math section of this site should count for WeChall.
All it takes to solve is spending time entering the "problems" into a math program.

Getting ~12000 points for a few hours of brainless work has no place on WeChall imho..
Global Rank: 66
Totalscore: 227554
UpVotes: 281
shadum`s Avatar

RE: Comments on CSTutoringCenter
Google/translate1Thank You!1Good Post!1Bad Post! link
Quote from Kender
Feb 13, 2011 - 09:28:43

I do not think that the Math section of this site should count for WeChall.
All it takes to solve is spending time entering the "problems" into a math program.

Getting ~12000 points for a few hours of brainless work has no place on WeChall imho..

Respectfully, I don't agree.

For some people, background and training or just natural talent, might make some of the challenges exceptionally easy, but that is going to be the case with any category of challenge. A professional pentester will probably find the web/exploit challenges easy. An assembly programmer will probably have an easy time with the crackits, for example.

How easy the math section is depends very much on your math background. I have almost none. The highest formal math training I've had is first year (college) calculus class. That's it. Minimal statistics. Minimal probability. Minimal trigonometry. And zero formal computer science, as well. The easier, basic algebra ones I walked through without much effort, but I had to learn a lot to solve some of the others. You can't just plug the problems into a math program if you don't know what you are doing.

Then there is the math program itself. I used maxima for the number crunching, but when I started CST I had no idea how maxima, or any other CAS, worked. Having no high level math background, I'd never had a need for nor ever been exposed to such applications. Now, I'm not bad with maxima and also with its internal scripting system, but these are both things I had to learn to solve the challenges.

So, again. I don't agree. I think the math section deserves to be scored. It was not brainless for me. I can look at a MySQL query and tell you just about anything you want to know, but for the 20 or so people I work with, all in non-computer science positions, they may as well be looking at Linear A. I don't think that brainless for me means brainless for them.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
MrKaLiMaN, sabretooth, tunelko, feicuijade, noother, quangntenemy, TheHiveMind, Z, balicocat, Ge0, samuraiblanco, arraez, jcquinterov, hophuocthinh, alfamen2, burhanudinn123, Ben_Dover, stephanduran89, braddie0, SwolloW, dangarbri have subscribed to this thread and receive emails on new posts.
1 people are watching the thread at the moment.
This thread has been viewed 262414 times.